What is the expected behaviour in this scenario?

• Ian Dalkin
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #48484 by Ian Dalkin
Hi there. Great component! We're in a situation where payments and renewals are currently manually handled with an Access database. This has over 7000 members and only about half of these are currently financial and only about half (of the 7000 total) have emails. For administrative purposes, the membership extends for 12 months from the date last paid, which we currently manually record. All renewals due are then currently advised by either email or letter. No action is taken on unfinancial members ie. if they don't renew, they are simply recorded as unfinancial. Our Primary Key (username) will be the member's unique membership number.

1. When we port over to MembershipPro via CSV import, we expect that your system will pick up the 'future' renewals ie. if a renewal is due on a forward date, we expect the system to send an email. If that is what you would expect, could you confirm that please?

2. We have set the 1st and 2nd reminder email options to 21 and 7 days. How would MembershipPro handle an expiration date outside the 21 day period eg. the member is more than 21 days overdue with their payment? Is there a way to interrogate the database from the Admin backend to, for example, identify all those members who haven't paid (and are unfinancial) in the last 30, 60 or 90 days (or more). It would be nice to then send an email to those who have an email address and export to CSV for those without email. It's a terrific feature that we can enable the membership to renew for, in our case, 365 days.

3. Will the import function handle an entry without an email and, in that case, allow us to isolate members to whom we would then have to send a manual advice and/or invite them to join up through the site?

4. As I understand it, MembershipPro will populate the password field with an arbitrary password but can you confirm that each member with an email, who then comes to the site, will have to use the 'I forgot my password' function to retrieve and change that password? This will have an impact on the email or letter advice we send to members.

5. What would MembershipPro do in a situation where we import an unfinancial member to the database and that member doesn't have an email address. The member then advises us of an email address which we manually add to the record via the back end.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ian Dalkin
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #48657 by Ian Dalkin
Replied by Ian Dalkin on topic What is the expected behaviour in this scenario?
Bumping this. Any help is appreciated.

More
9 years 7 months ago #48841 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic What is the expected behaviour in this scenario?
Hi Ian

A long list, difficult questions and to be honest, I don't really understand all of them. And I am not sure Membership Pro can be used for this project or not.

1. When we port over to MembershipPro via CSV import, we expect that your system will pick up the 'future' renewals ie. if a renewal is due on a forward date, we expect the system to send an email. If that is what you would expect, could you confirm that please?

=> Yes. The extension has a feature to send reminder to subscribers before their subscription expired so that they can renew their subscription. It will be sent to subscribers before subscription expired, not after.

2. We have set the 1st and 2nd reminder email options to 21 and 7 days. How would MembershipPro handle an expiration date outside the 21 day period eg. the member is more than 21 days overdue with their payment? Is there a way to interrogate the database from the Admin backend to, for example, identify all those members who haven't paid (and are unfinancial) in the last 30, 60 or 90 days (or more). It would be nice to then send an email to those who have an email address and export to CSV for those without email. It's a terrific feature that we can enable the membership to renew for, in our case, 365 days.

As I mentioned above, the extension will send reminder to subscriber before his subscription expired, so I don't think you have any issues with it. However, we don't have a feature to allow you to export expired members to a csv file. It is not supported.

3. Will the import function handle an entry without an email and, in that case, allow us to isolate members to whom we would then have to send a manual advice and/or invite them to join up through the site?

=> If you can ask user to register for an account on the site, you can then edit the subscription records and assign these records to that newly registered account.

4. As I understand it, MembershipPro will populate the password field with an arbitrary password but can you confirm that each member with an email, who then comes to the site, will have to use the 'I forgot my password' function to retrieve and change that password? This will have an impact on the email or letter advice we send to members.

=> Since the extension generate a random password, users won't know their password. So yes, if they want to login, they will have to use reset password feature of Joomla core to get their password before they can login.

5. What would MembershipPro do in a situation where we import an unfinancial member to the database and that member doesn't have an email address. The member then advises us of an email address which we manually add to the record via the back end.

=> It will just update the email to the record and nothing else (for example, it doesn't send any emails to subscribers)

Tuan