Expiration Emails not being sent

• Bryan Novak
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #48354 by Bryan Novak
Expiration Emails not being sent was created by Bryan Novak
Hi there,

We're having trouble with the automated emails that are supposed to be sent when a users's subscription is about to expire. I have the expiration notice set to 15 days for the first and 1 day for the second with the field checked "Yes" to enable renewal. Is there a configuration step we missed? I have an Active test account set to expire and I haven't received any emails about it.

This is a very big issue since it costs our client lots of money if their userbase forgets to renew, so any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bryan Novak
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #48358 by Bryan Novak
Replied by Bryan Novak on topic Expiration Emails not being sent
Update: I've gotten the emails to appear with a couple other test accounts I've set up, but it's still strange that my main test account isn't receiving any. It's not going to spam or anything as far as I can tell. Does it only reset sending an email after going through the formal "Renew" process as opposed to just setting the account to "Active" on the backend?

More
9 years 7 months ago #48674 by webgeeze
Replied by webgeeze on topic Expiration Emails not being sent
I have the same issue on three websites running this. Reminders are not sent properly and I am glad someone else is having the same problem. I have re-installed several times but problem remains.

The reminder system is not strong enough to support this software IMO. There needs to be a log of mail sent and a manual script to execute on demand, but sadly both are missing.

I am also going to post a wish list to see a module for this software which can show a users expiration date, maybe a countdown timer and a button to renew. This would be a nice feature.

More
9 years 7 months ago #48710 by Jurček Tomažič
Replied by Jurček Tomažič on topic Expiration Emails not being sent
Im having the same issue. Some users do not receive emails but some do. All use gmail. Even if its stated in database that email was sent it was not received (checked spam/commercials/...).

More
9 years 7 months ago #48711 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Expiration Emails not being sent
I am not sure what's the best way to handle this issues properly because the system rely on your mail server for processing sending emails. So if sometime, emails are not being sent, I don't have any clue where to check it.

Perhalf, I will work on the documentation to guide you to set up it using cron job to see how it goes. Will update you in the next few days.

@webgeeze: I remember that you mentioned it works well on one of your site. So I think it is not correct when you say that it doesn't work on three of your websites.

Anyway, please wait for me. I will work on the guide for setting up cron job so that you can setup it. I believe cron job is more reliable than using system plugin. I don't think I will log the emails because we have CC emails feature already.

Lets try the cron job feature to see how it goes.

Tuan

More
9 years 7 months ago #48775 by webgeeze
Yes, I had previously stated the other sites were OK, but in fact they all have issues. Two sites send emails BUT not correctly. They send 'one email' but no more. I have a site sending NONE but two others send one email only. For example, 7 accounts expire on 01.09.14 yet ONLY one email was sent out as a reminder. This was using the BCC copy facility for admin and only one was sent out.

In my case, I am seeing email sent fine for sign ups, renewals and other system joomla emails including eshop with no problems. The only problem i am having relates to reminders and with 400 + in each site, it causes a lot of issues.

Membership Pro is excellent. It is only the reminder emails which cause problems, but lets face it, that's a major part of it. Any updates to help this would be great...

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #48911 by webgeeze
This is definately a bug in the system. I have informed Tuan who will look into it and adjust the core software but one of my developers found the error and fixed it. The issue is in the helper.php file which can be located here: public_html/components/com_osmembership/helper/helper.php

backup that file e.g call it helper.original.php and upload the one attached to this post.

Once you do this, your reminders will start being sent. I tested this on all 3 sites and this morning reminders started firing properly.

File Attachment:

File Name: helper.php.zip
File Size:17 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by webgeeze. Reason: uploading file
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Dalkin

More
9 years 7 months ago #48918 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Thanks Justin. Mostly I will look at it tonight. Otherwise, on tomorrow morning. Apologize for not thinking that It was a bug in the extension before.

Regards,

Tuan

More
9 years 6 months ago #48927 by Ian Dalkin
Replied by Ian Dalkin on topic Expiration Emails not being sent
Good 'finding' Justin. There seems to be a server error when trying to download the file.

More
9 years 6 months ago #48937 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
@webgeeze : Checked it myself and CONFIRM that it is a BUG. Once again, thanks for reporting this and proposed a fix. I have a more proper fix here, could you please help me to test it as well ?

@Ian Dalkin: Could you please get this zip file, unzip it, upload to components/com_osmembership/helper folder of your site and check it again ?

@ALL : if everything goes well, I will update this to the core download package of the extension.

Thanks so much for your help.

Tuan
Attachments: