Password requirements

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #46666 by Ari
Password requirements was created by Ari
How can I enforce password requirements when users sign up for an account in Membership Pro?
Here's what I already have in place:
Community builder minimum password requirements
-- I set a regex to validate the password field in community builder
-- "Password must be between 8 and 24 characters and contain an Uppercase, lowercase, digit, a special character (!, @, #, $, %, &, or *), and no spaces"
-- /^(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*\d)(?=.*[!@#$%&*])(?!.* ).{8,24}$/
Community Builder integration in Membership Pro is enabled

When a user without an account signs up for a membership plan, they do have to enter a password, but this password is not checked for length or complexity (as it was using community builder or standard joomla user registration)

How can I fix this?
Thanks,
Ari

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #46673 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Password requirements
Hi Ari

At the moment, Membership Pro only check for password length which you setup in Joomla Users component. It doesn't have complicated rules as Membership Pro.

So to set the password length, you can go to Users ->Users Manager, click on Options button in the toolbar and set the "Minimum Password Length" parameter to the length you want.

I will try to implement the other rules (which is supported by Joomla core into Password field validation, should be available sometime next week).

Regards,

Tuan

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #46675 by Ari
Replied by Ari on topic Password requirements
Thank you,
Some people use the standard Joomla user registration. In that case, pulling from the Joomla password requirements would be fine.
It will be important for this to work with Community Builder as well. (for many people, not just me)
In community builder, one can modify the password field (in Field Management) to validate with a perl regex script (above), and can customize the 'doesn't match' message. See attached image for the config.

Perhaps would the "OS Membership - CB plugin" Plug-in get this field info from CB and know to validate with the regex put into CB? Or would OS Membership just have to have it's own password requirements options?

This is overall a good membership extension and has good support. If users are to be allowed to sign up for accounts through it, they certainly need to have password requirements.

Thanks again,
Ari
Attachments:

More
9 years 9 months ago #46684 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Thanks Ari. Will do for sure :).

Tuan

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #47138 by Ari
Tuan,
Does the latest 1.6.5 version address this feature?
Thanks,
Ari

More
9 years 9 months ago #47177 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Ari

Unfortunately, it is not available in version 1.6.5 yet. I will try my best to spend time this week to implement it (atleast it will have settings same with Joomla core).

Please be patient and wait for us.

Regards,

Tuan

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #47571 by Ari
Just wanted to bump this up to ask if it has been implemented yet (or what the expected timeline is)? I'm waiting to move users over until this is in place and it's been a few weeks.
When I import users from the old site to the new one with OS Membership, I'll need to have them change their passwords. So the extension has to support a password policy. Even if it was an option as simple as checking the entered password against a PERL regex script (and, of course, having a customizable message to tell the user what the password policy is).
I'm using Membership Pro's integration with Community Builder. I have set password policies both in Community Builder and in the Joomla core. (In CB, this is at Field Management --> Password --> Field entry validation, and I have selected a custom PERL expression, as in the post above. In Joomla core, I have set the password policy at Admin backend --> Global Configuration --> Users Manager)

Thanks,
Ari
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Ari.

More
9 years 8 months ago #47576 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Ari

Yes. I still remember this requirement from you but haven't had a chance to work on it yet. Please be patient and wait for me. Lately at the middle of next week, it will be available as an option in the extension.

Regards,

Tuan

More
9 years 8 months ago #47967 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

I completed the feature. The extension will now validate the password based on settings in Joomla core users component (Joomla 3 only). If you would like to help me to test it, please send me an email to services@joomdonation.com and I will send the updated version to you.

Regards,

Tuan

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #48014 by Ari
Looks promising so far, and I see that there are password validation popup messages.
There is a problem I've noticed, though. It does not get the minimum required length correct. As you can see in the attached images, I have it set to minimum 14 characters in the Joomla Users Manager Global Configuration Options, but the Membership Pro is only requiring 4 characters. This is reflected in the validation popup message, and will allow me to go on to actually register as user with less than 14 characters.

####################################################################

Don't know how it got from the 14 character requirement set in Joomla down to 4 character requirement. Hopefully it's not time-consuming to fix.
Thanks for the work,
Ari
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Ari.