Email not required for registration

• Reagan Marketing + Design
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #64784 by Reagan Marketing + Design
Email not required for registration was created by Reagan Marketing + Design
Hi,

We have an audience base that does not have email addresses but we would like to allow them to register for events. Is there a workaround for them?

If an email is a must is there a way to maybe create a checkbox that says I don't have an email address then hidden in the background a generic email address is entered?

Thank ahead of time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #64789 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Email not required for registration
Hi Salim

At the moment, email is a required field because it needs to be used on many features in the extension (user account creation, send confirmation email....), so it could not be optional, unfortunately.

I will consider adding it as an option in the extension. But it needs to be coded carefully so that it won't break existing EB installations (most of them has email field as a required field). So I will need about 2 more weeks to make this option ready in the extension

Please be patient and wait for us

Regards,

Tuan

• Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #64845 by Reagan Marketing + Design
Replied by Reagan Marketing + Design on topic Email not required for registration
Thank you Tuan for the quick response. I appreciate the time you will be putting into this!

Doesn't Joomla! require unique email addresses for new users? I am curious how you plan to execute the email address bypass. Meaning if someone clicks on the checkbox that says "I do not have an email address" how would the user still get registered for an event? I would be ok if an email address is faked for each user or maybe one is entered from a phone number like 888456789@domain.com. I'm sure there are some options available. Or maybe a person can register but doesn't become a Joomla user?

Thanks again!

More
8 years 10 months ago #64864 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
I think in your case, you don't need account creation? If account creation is needed, we have no way to make email optional

Tuan

• Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #64900 by Reagan Marketing + Design
Replied by Reagan Marketing + Design on topic Email not required for registration
That is correct, we'll have an option if they have an email address they can create an account and get all the benefits of that. If they do not have an email address they can click the option of no email address and they submit all the necessary information to the event but no account is created for them.

Please let me know if that is still possible and when you might think this will be available to so we can prepare for it on our end. I really do appreciate your quick responses and willingness to work with us. Thank you.

More
8 years 9 months ago #64921 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Salim

To be honest, I am afraid of this will be not in the scope of the new version. I will have to think more about it as this is an exceptional case.

So if you can prepare for it yourself, that would be better. It is hard for me to add support for the feature which only needed by one customer. Hope you understand my situation.

Regards,

Tuan

• Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #65441 by Reagan Marketing + Design
Yes, that is understandable! Thank you for considering it. I will try to implement myself. Could you point me in the right direction of how you might implement?

I'm thinking as an alternate to "hacking" the component I use jquery to hide the email field if the custom checkbox is checked for no email address. Then the hidden email address is filled by populated phone number field and a fake domain. (1234567890@fakedomain.com).

More
8 years 9 months ago #65454 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Salim

That seems to be the correct solution :

1. Edit the code on the file components/com_eventbooking/views/register/tmpl/default.php to add the jQuery code to hide the email field when checkbox is checked

2. Edit the code in the file components/com_eventbooking/models/regster.php, function processIndividualRegistration to generate that fake email if no email is entered

Tuan

• Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #65485 by Reagan Marketing + Design
Great! Thank you.

More
8 years 9 months ago #65489 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hope you can implement it. Please update us with the result once you got it implemented :)

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc