Change log available?

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #63278 by Stephan Hodges
Change log available? was created by Stephan Hodges
Is there a single change log that shows what has changed from version to version?

It would be nice if this was also included in the readme txt file in the downloads.

Also, version 1.7.0 is still reporting as up to date (Joomla 3), even though I see version 1.7.3 is available. I didn't see any mention of this being fixed in the 1.7.3 or 1.7.2 notes. I couldn't find notes on a 1.7.1 release. I apologize if this was already fixed but I thought I'd mention it as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzzy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #64260 by Buzzy
Replied by Buzzy on topic Change log available?
I ask at regular intervals for this. It does surprise me that the developer must (hopefully!) know what they have changed so putting an easy to find change log is not that hard, yet if it is available it's always tucked away in a forum somewhere and not easy to locate. I would say it is a sales feature (for instance I am behind now by several versions but not aware of what has been changed so not easy to decide if worth renewing or not - a change log would help me spend money!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BayGeo, Stephan Hodges

More
8 years 10 months ago #64261 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Change log available?
Agree. Right now, when a new version release, I just post a forum topic list all the new features. I think having a tab called Change logs on product description page which link to these topics will be good

Will work with that direction.

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Riley

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #64268 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic Change log available?
I'd like to repeat my suggestion of making a single forum topic for all new releases. Each release would ADD a "reply" to the topic. You would make that topic pinned, and also only changeable by the admins, so users wouldn't be able to post to that topic.

Advantages:
  1. One place, so only one link on product page that doesn't change. And you don't need to keep extending the product or product change log links page every time.
  2. All changes for all versions would be in a single topic.
  3. Users could then subscribe to this forum topic and get automatic notifications when a new version is announced.
  4. It's almost exactly the process you use now, except that it would be a pinned topic and only admins (you) could modify it.
This is the approach that many other products use.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Stephan Hodges. Reason: Fix missing [/li] code.

More
8 years 10 months ago #64270 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Change log available?
@Stephan -- Your suggestion makes good sense. A user would still be able to see the running chronological change log at a glance, it would be easy for admin to update, and it can be linked to from the EB product page so that other users (non-forum dwellers) could find it easily. Implementation time would be nil as well -- no extra coding or development required.

@Tuan: Depending on how the EB production page and and forum are set up, you might be able to just pull an xml feed from the forum (or use an iFrame or dynamic div) to post the change log from the forum into that tab dynamically.

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephan Hodges

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #64271 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic Change log available?
@James Riley Good points.

@Tuan -- With probably 1 or two hours of work, you would be able to incorporate all the past release forum posts as well. You'd want them all entered as single replies, of course, so displayed correctly and in order. Since you are the administrator, you'd be able to back-date the posts to match the original posting as well for each release post/note. Of course, that could be done over time as a low priority as well. I've done the same thing on other forums that I've run in the past.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc